Saturday, September 11, 2010

Backcountry Running

Adventure beckoned. Last weekend my family and I camped for three days in Denali National Park. One of the days I had the opportunity to engage in some backcountry running exploration. In sum, camping and running elicts a few descriptive words: Resurrection, improvement, rehabilitation, betterment, cure, healing, improvement, revival, awakening, cheering, enkindling, freshening, invigoration, quickening, reanimation, recovery, recrudescence, regeneration, rejuvenation, renewal, restoration, resurgence, resuscitation, and revitalization. A true spiritual wilderness adventure!

The first picture was taken near Mt. Healy. I happened upon an elite band of intrepid explorers.



The Fall colors in Denali National Park are excellent. The tundra, mountains, wildlife, and weather invokes a splendid sensory experience.

My objective was to summit Mt. Healy. I got really close, but decided to turn back given the thick clouds and impending bad weather. Typically I would have forged my way to the top with will and perseverance, but today was more about resurrection without pain. I had an enjoyable 4 hour run in the Alaskan backcountry.