Sunday, September 11, 2011

Crow Glacier Exploration

Adventure beckoned. Promising weather equals backcountry exploration. Looking at my map, I decided to explore the Crow Glacier area of Crow Pass. I was also keen to scope out, and possibly climb, Magpie Peak. The terrain and views were fabulous. Tundra and I made it up Crow Glacier and to almost 5,100 feet before aborting the summit attempt of Magpie. Crampons and ice ax would have made the final 700-800 feet more enjoyable and safe. Tundra and I cruised down the mountain and eventually decided to traverse across the glacier to access the upper ridge leading to Magpie. However, once on the ridge, the summit was well in the distance and required slow movements along a tenuous ridge. With my time dwindling away, I figured it was best to head back down the mountain and get home. Despite no summit, we experienced neat country and new places. Not a bad way to spend a beautiful September afternoon in Alaska!  



Crow Glacier.





Raggedtop Mountain as seen from a high ridgeline near Magpie.




This is our turnaround point. You can see the steepness in combination with snow. I wish I had an ax and crampons!